Thursday, September 27, 2007

Interesting Fantasy Comparison

Admittedly, I am a fantasy football junkie. I maintain two teams and do my best to put the best team possible on the field every week. I also keep tabs on how alumni of the various Utah schools are doing in the NFL. Even though I am a Ute, I generally hope the local kids succeed in the NFL and have good careers there. Combining my love for fantasy football, I am also tracking how players from the various schools are doing as far as fantasy stats. The results right now are a bit one-sided with Ute and Aggie graduates getting most of the playing time on offense, though I acknowledge that BYU has a lot of interior linemen and defensive players who are doing well in the NFL. However, check out the scores below:

Utah- 98
Utah State- 76
BYU- 1

Now, it is fair to say, that the only BYU alums who have had any play time on offense are Reno Mahe who because of a fumble provides a negative point, Fahu Tahi who hasn't yet garnered enough yards to qualify as a point, and Daniel Coates, who despite being BYU's back-up tight end last year, actually has 23 receiving yards.

As you can see, currently BYU is getting dwarfed in this fantasy analysis by Utah and Utah State. This despite the fact that BYU is clearly a much stronger program than Utah State. This success is really about two remarkable Aggies, namely Kevin Curtis and Chris Cooley. The Utes, much of these statistics are oweing to Steve Smith and Alex Smith, though John Madsen is making a surprisingly impressive showing. The injury to Alex Smith and the continued failure of Carolina's backup quarterbacks to get the ball to Steve Smith may make it possible for Utah State to take the lead in this fantasy comparison.

My next article will show BYU in a better light when I produce a fantasy analysis that looks at line and defensive play where BYU alums are running pretty much neck and neck with the Utes.

I will continue to track and report.

No comments: