Friday, September 7, 2007

Introduction

I, Obi wan kolobi, having been born of goodly parents, was taught early on to test my meddle in the arena of sports. As a result, I have a love and passion for sports and find meaningful and interesting corollaries between the sports world and the lives we lead. Even so, this is a bit of a "devolution" from the things I discuss on my other blogs. To discuss the War in Iraq or the meaning of life, in the grand scheme of things, is of a higher order than sports. The Colts winning last year's Super Bowl did not do anything for the Aids epidemic in Africa. That being said, the return of the Saints to New Orleans did do something for those displaced by Katrina.

Even so, this blog will deal in the insignificant for the most part. But it is hoped that it will be fun to put in writing what I see on the football field or in the execution I see on the basketball court. Because this is a devolution from my other blogs, I have named this blog "Cynognathus" after a ferocious Triassic predator that just so happens to be sort of a cross between a mammal and a reptile. Cynognathus is classified by biologists as a "cynodont", part of a group of therapsids, or mammal-like reptiles, that dominated terrestial life in the early to mid Triassic periods. Ultimately diplaced and marginalized by their diapsid cousins the dinosaurs, some cynodonts survived scurrying in the undergrowth and ultimately would evolve into what biologists classify as mammals.

So I willingly devolve from other high-minded pursuits, to discuss sports. The future of the free world may not ride on the outcome of football games, but unfortunately, my morale sometimes does. So, let's play ball.

No comments: